“My dad didn’t deserve his death and he doesn’t deserve for his case to go unsolved. He was a good person. Help us put him to rest. That’s all I really want. I just want some justice for him, and I want him to be able to be at peace.”
If you have any information that could aid the investigation into the 2015 homicide of Kenneth Zernicke in Caribou, Maine, please contact Detective Adam Bell at the Maine State Police Houlton Barracks at (207) 532-5400.
Jessica Zernicke Holmes left work on the night of September 24, 2015 to find her phone flooded with missed calls and messages. When she was finally able to call her family member back, they delivered shocking news about her father.
58-year old Kenneth Zernicke was found dead inside his burning home in Caribou, Maine. Two days later, his death was ruled a homicide.
Jess reached out to me because after nearly 7 years her father’s case remains unsolved with little public information available, even to family members. She wrote in her email, “I understand it makes it hard to cover a case with little to no information, but I am hoping to get this out there as much, and as often as possible. I miss my dad.”
That is why I started this show. No matter the amount of public information on a case, these stories need and deserve attention.
Jess Zernicke Holmes is on Dark Downeast to tell the story of her father, Kenneth Zernicke. Press play to hear the full story, told in Jessica’s words.
Episode Source Material
- Thank you to Jess Zernicke Holmes for sharing her father’s story with Dark Downeast
- Kenneth Zernicke Obituary
- Police identify Caribou man found dead inside burning house, Associated Press, Portland Press Herald, 29 Sep 2015
- Death of man found in burning Caribou house called homicide, probe continues By Julia Bayly, The County, 30 Sep 2015
- Brother offers $10,000 reward for information in homicide by Gillian Graham, Portland Press Herald, 23 Sep 2021
- His brother was found dead in a burning home. 6 years later, he still doesn’t know why by Hannah Catlin, Bangor Daily News, 28 Sep 2021